Monday 19 March 2012



My family (from left) Carlin, Nicole, me and Hannah
Hi everyone. My name is Adain Summerfield and I have just completed 10 years of working at the Otago Institute of Sport and Adventure at Otago Polytechnic. While most of my teaching time is spent in theory based courses in the Personal Training and Exercise Prescription major of our Diploma of Applied sport and Exercise Leadership (level 4 and Level 5), I have been involved in teaching in our degree programme (looking to do more at this elevated level) and also am involved in a lot of practical-based teaching and learning.
I am also a student (GCTLT Flexible Learning and Education for Sustainability and Diploma in Public Health at UO), and a Programme Manager (Personal Training and Exercise Prescription major of the Diploma of Applied sport and Exercise Leadership) so get to experience the teaching and learning processes from many viewpoints.

I am also a husband to Nicole and a father to Hannah (3) and Carlin (1). To be honest these three are my motivation for doing differently as I want to be able to leave work at work (knowing I have helped students grow) and enjoy greater quantity and quality of time with my family.

I am from Christchurch originally and only intended to be in Dunedin for 3 years to complete my Bachelor of Physical Education at OU. Then it was straight on the plane to Ireland to play rugby and explore my Irish heritage (I am a dual Irish and New Zealand Citizen). I came back for Nicole, got my job at OP and now, with a mortgage and the two kids, call Dunedin home. Not quite where I planned I would be, but a great pathway that I wouldn’t change.

I am undertaking flexible learning because what I do now (Fixed Learning) isn’t the only way of facilitating learning, is unlikely to be the best way, and could quite possibly be the worst. When I reflect on my experiences as a learner, the “best” experiences weren’t in large lecture theatres were I was filled up with knowledge by an all knowing expert. This situation is more characteristic of my “worst” learning experiences.

I am inspired by the work of Salman Khan (Khan Academy) and his philosophy of learning at home and doing homework in class, and by the Peer Instruction/Concept Learning of Eric Mazur (Check out Confessions of a converted lecturer - edited to find out more about this approach). I am also reminded every day by the poster above my computer that “the person that does the work does the learning”. Flexible learning to me is about learners having freedom to take different pathways to get to an agreed outcome. I am hoping this course will help me discover some tools and strategies to help this happen without intruding my family time!

Looking forward to learning with you all!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Adain, I love your photo...what a lovely family...you are truly blessed.

    I am interested in those last couple of comments - how practical do you think it is to take the approach of people like Khan, when you're working within constraints that are put on you by your institution and often external bodies?

    ReplyDelete